During the 18 months the author gathered information for writing THE SIMPLE TRUTH, he accessed and downloaded every investigative report as it was issued to the press and the public. Good thing, because a number of such reports are no longer available to the public, as noted below (in red). Nevertheless, relevant data from such sources are included and referenced in THE SIMPLE TRUTH.
- Congress of the United States, House of Representatives, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations. Letter to BP CEO Tony Hayward dated 20 June 2010, signed by Henry A. Waxman Chairman, and Bart Stupak Chairman, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations. View Report.
- United States Coast Guard and the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM—previously called the MMS), Joint Investigation. The committee deposed more than a hundred personnel involved in the incident. Individual depositions can be accessed within the primary file. View Report. (Note: the once-valid site says “not available to the public at this time”)
- On 22 April 2011 the USCG issued: Redacted Report of Investigation into the Circumstances Surrounding the Explosion, Fire, Sinking, and Loss of Eleven Crew Members Aboard the Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit DEEPWATER HORIZON In the Gulf of Mexico, April 20–22, 2010, Volume I. View Report (Note: the once-valid site says “not available to the public at this time”)
- BP’s Deepwater Horizon Accident Investigation Report. BP’s internal investigation was released to the public on 8 September 2010. View Report
- National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling. President Obama “charged the Commission to determine the causes of the disaster, and to improve the country’s ability to respond to spills, and to recommend reforms to make offshore energy production safer.” Final report issued 11 Jan 2011. View Report (Note: the once-valid site says: “You don’t have permission to access.”)
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV)—Final Report for the United States Department of the Interior BOEM, Washington, DC 20240: Forensic Examination of Deepwater Horizon Blowout Preventer. 20 March 2011.View Report (Note: the once-valid site says: ” Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.”)
- The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement (BOEM): Regarding the Causes of the April 20, 2010, Macondo Well Blowout. Issued 14 September 2011. This is BOEM’s FINAL report on the BP Blowout. Reference includes a number of Appendices. View Final Report, View Appendices.
- National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling: Chief Counsel’s Report 2011. Released 17 Feb 2011. View Report
- Transocean: MACONDO WELL INCIDENT: Transocean Investigation Report, Volume I and Vol 2. June 2011. A comprehensive and credible investigative report on the topic. View Volume 1. View Volume 2.